Russian-American Company Magazin, 101 Marine Way East, Kodiak, Kodiak Island Borough, AK
- Upscale 2x2048x1602
Significance: The Russian-American Company Magazin is thought to have been constructed after 1804, but prior to the removal of the Company's headquarters to Sitka (originally New Archangel) in 1808. The Magazin was built using traditional Russian horizontal log construction. Dovetailed at the corners, the 12"-wide fir logs were rough-hewn, grooved on the bottom to fit over the log below, and chinked with moss. The one-and-a-half story building was originally topped with a tall hipped roof. The first floor rooms served as a store and warehouse for furs (primarily seal and otter, but also beaver, fox, bear, lynx, sable, mink, and wolverine) collected by the Russian-American Company. According to oral tradition, the larger northeast room also served as a public gathering spot, and may have had several smaller rooms inserted at an early date. The second floor of the Magazin was most likely used for residential purposes.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2129
Survey number: HABS AK-2
Building/structure dates: 1793 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1883 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000954