Sabine Hall, State Route 624 vicinity, Warsaw, Richmond, VA
Significance: Sabine Hall was built in 1730 for Colonel Landon Carter by his father, Robert Carter, of Corotoman, whose extensive possessions in the Colony of Virginia caused him to be called "King" Carter by his compatriots. According to tradition Colonel Carter named his estate for Horace's Sabine Farm because of his interest and great delight in the Roman poet Horace. The estate consists of some four thousand acres on the Rappahannock in Richmond County. On the river side of the house is an excellent example of a Colonial garden at its best. Practically unchanged since it was laid off about 1730 by English gardeners, it has a series of six terraces. Broad grass ramps lead down from one terrace to the next. It was in this garden that George Washington unfolded to Landon Carter his plans for the campaign at Morristown. Upon leaving he took with him the young son of Sabine Hall to enlist in the Army of the Revolution. Sabine Hall has come down for nine generations and is still owned by Carter descendants.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-2, FN-109
Survey number: HABS VA-155
Building/structure dates: 1730 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1764 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1930 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 69000277