Saint Joseph Plantation, 3421 State Route 18, Vacherie, St. James Parish, LA
1997 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: Located along the Mississippi River in St. James Parish, survived the Civil War and crop failure to prosper into the present day. Construction on the main house is speculated to have begun in 1820 by Dr. Cazimir Bernard Mericq, the original owner of the land that is now St. Joseph. The exact date and original style remain a mystery. According to speculation, the building contained service functions on the ground floor with the living quarters, 4 rooms and a large hall, raised above...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N365
Survey number: HABS LA-1268