Library Of Congress
Library Of CongressPublic Domain ArchivePart of PICRYL.com. Not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress
  • searchSearch
  • photo_albumStories
  • collectionsCollections
  • infoAbout
  • star_rateUpgrade
  • account_boxLogin
Salubria, Salubria Lane, Stevensburg, Culpeper County, VA

Salubria, Salubria Lane, Stevensburg, Culpeper County, VA

  • save_altThumbnail200x200
  • save_altSmall463x640
  • save_altMedium740x1024
  • save_altLarge1156x1600
  • save_altOriginal2775x3840
  • photo_size_select_largeUpscale 2x5550x7680
description

Summary

Significance: Salubria is a refined and rare example of a mid-eighteenth century Georgian mansion of Piedmont Virginia. The dwelling is architecturally significant for its austere, yet well-proportioned, exterior design and for its handsomely executed brickwork. The mansion is further distinguished for the superb quality of its interior woodwork. Historically, Salubria is significant for its association with several prominent Virginians. The dwelling was built by the Reverend John Thompson for his first wife Butler Brayne Spotswood, widow of Governor Alexander Spotswood. Thompson was ordained in the Church of England and served as the minister of St. Mark's Parish, part of the established Anglican church system in Virginia. The house was subsequently owned by Mordecai Barbour, politically distinguished and associated with Thomas Jefferson; by James Hansbrough whose family shaped the economic and social fabric of Culpeper County; and by various members of the Grayson family who owned and occupied the dwelling for more than a century. Dr. Cary T. Grayson, born at Salubria, was the personal physician of President Woodrow Wilson and head of the League of Red Cross Societies. In October 2000, Salubria was donated by the Grayson family, under easement with the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, to the Memorial Foundation of the Germanna Colonies in Virginia, Inc.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1685
Survey number: HABS VA-1430
Building/structure dates: ca. 1750 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1790 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after 1948 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1960 Subsequent Work

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Memorial Foundation of the Germanna Colonies in Virginia
Thompson, John
Spotswood, Butler Brayne
Barbour, Mordecai
Hansbrough, James
Grayson, Cary T
Arzola, Robert, architect
Dolinsky, Paul, Chief, Historic American Landscapes Survey
Stoyko, Greta, field team
Stoyko, Greta, delineator
place

Location

Stevensburg38.43992, -77.88657
Google Map of 38.4399217, -77.88656569999999
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Explorecary t grayson

Exploresalubria lane

Explorecorner fireplaces

Library Of Congress

The objects in this archive are from Library of Congress - the nation’s first established cultural institution and the largest library in the world, with millions of items including books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections. The Library provides Congress, the federal government and the American people with a rich, diverse and enduring source of knowledge to inform, inspire and engage them and support their intellectual and creative endeavors.

Disclaimer: A work of the Library of Congress is "a work prepared by an officer or employee" of the federal government "as part of that person's official duties." In general, under section 105 of the Copyright Act, such works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under U.S. law and are therefore in the public domain. This website is developed as a part of the world's largest public domain archive, PICRYL.com, and not developed or endorsed by the Library of Congress, https://www.picryl.com

Developed by GetArchive, 2015-2020