Santa Clara Verein, 1082 Alviso Street, Santa Clara, Santa Clara County, CA
Significance: German immigrants were among the early settlers in the Santa Clara Valley. Bringing their traditional social customs to the Valley, the Germans soon began to form a number of organizations including athletic and social clubs. In the 1870s, the German community built the oldest extant Turn Verein in Northern California. Its construction was financed by funds raised from the German clubs' membership. The wooden Santa Clara Verein was erected in several stages and has a front with decorative corner pilasters, brackets and a low curved parapet. The interior of the main room is elaborately decorated; of particular interest is the hand stenciled plaster ceiling. German people first came to Santa Clara in the mid-19th century. They built this social hall in the 1870's financed by funds raised from the club's membership. It is believed to be the oldest extant Turn Verein - German social and athletic clubhouse - in Northern California. The wooden structure was built in many stages, and is characterized by a handsome false front facade with decorative pilasters, brackets and a curved parapet. The ceiling of the interior's main room is covered with an attractive hand-stenciled pattern.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-110
Survey number: HABS CA-2068
Building/structure dates: ca. 1880 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1881 Subsequent Work