Sears Roebuck & Company Mail Order Plant, Merchandise Building, 924 South Homan Avenue, Chicago, Cook County, IL
- Upscale 2x7680x6152
Significance: One of the first buildings completed for the Mail Order Plant in 1905-1906. It was designed by the nationally-known architectural firm of Nimmons & Fellows, with additions designed by successor firms George C. Nimmons & Co. and Nimmons & Co. The Merchandise Building was the largest building and housed the majority of the company's employees at the Mail Order Plant. In a bustling complex, the Merchandise Building was the center of activity. All incoming and outgoing goods passed through the Merchandise Building. All of the other buildings at the site provided support for the activities within the Merchandise Building by offering administration, manufacturing, and other support functions. The Mail Order Plant and its central Merchandise Building have been described as "a huge, finely tuned machine for receiving and holding merchandise and for filing and shipping orders."
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N249
Survey number: HABS IL-1187-A
Building/structure dates: 1905-1917 Initial Construction