Second Corps of Cadets Armory, 136 Essex Street, Salem, Essex County, MA
Significance: The Second Corps of Army Cadets Armory on Essex Street in Salem is located in the Salem Common Historic District and is significant as the location of the headquarters of the Second Corps of Cadets and Company H in Salem. The Cadets were here from 1890 to 1982 and Co. H. was housed here from 1908 to some time before World War II. In addition to its official uses, the large Drill Hall served as a convention and meeting hall for many local social and business functions. The Armory acts as an anchor along the west border of the Salem Common Historic District and is one of a few 20th century structures in the district, which is predominated by eighteenth and nineteenth century structures of high architectural quality. Unlike the other buildings along this block of Essex Street, it is not set back from Essex Street, but begins at the sidewalk.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N384
Survey number: HABS MA-1257