Short Bridge, Spanning South Santiam River at High Deck Road, Cascadia, Linn County, OR
Significance: Built in 1945 to replace an earlier bridge at this site, Short Bridge illustrates Linn County's distinctive open-sided housing that was designed to increase visibility and reduce wind resistance. It is one of the few covered bridges in Oregon to incorporate modern split-ring connectors, which made wood structures competitive with those of steel in the mid-20th century. Short Bridge was rehabilitated in 1988 and continues to carry vehicular traffic, including logging trucks.
Survey number: HAER OR-120
Building/structure dates: 1945 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1988 Subsequent Work