Skagway City Hall, 350 Fifth Avenue, Skagway, Skagway, AK
Significance: The construction of Skagway's first City Hall began in autumn 1897. A one-story (with attic) single-room structure, approximately 26' square, City Hall was built with horizontally laid hewn logs, using moss as chinking. In addition to housing municipal functions, the building served as Skagway's courthouse, jail, and office for the U.S. Marshal. The most significant historic role played by City Hall was undoubtedly its service as the center of activity during the roundup of Jefferson Randolph "Soapy" Smith's gang in July 1898.
In 1901, the building was sold to John G. Price to serve as Price's law office. City Hall's exterior horizontal siding was apparently installed at that time. By 1914, the building had been converted to a dwelling. At some point, most likely during the 1930s, the main entrance was moved from the front to a newly constructed porch on the side. During the second half of the twentieth century, several additions were constructed to the rear of the building. In 2013, Skagway City Hall was reacquired by the Municipality of Skagway.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2072
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2137
Survey number: HABS AK-243
Building/structure dates: 1897 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1901 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after. 1901- before. 1914 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after. 1930- before. 1939 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after. 1950- before. 1999 Subsequent Work