St. Elizabeths Hospital, Employee Cafeteria, 676-698 Redwood Drive, Southeast, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
For an overview of the Food Service Buildings, see HABS DC-349-CB
Significance: The Employee Cafeteria (Building 70) is significant as a context structure that contributes to the broader historic character of the St. Elizabeths West Campus. The building is associated with the continuing development and improvement of employee support and service facilities.
The utilitarian-style building is composed of two original temporary structures that were relocated to the site and reconfigured to form the cafeteria. These original structures are visible as two parallel gable roofs within the building assembly. Other architectural features include the stucco cladding, wood roof framing exposed at the overhanging eaves, and six-light wood casement windows.
Survey number: HABS DC-349-BE
Building/structure dates: 1924 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 2011 Demolished
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 79003101