St. George's Episcopal Church, 100 Lake Avenue, Cordova, Valdez-Cordova Census Area, AK
Significance: The design of Saint George's Episcopal Church is attributed to the Rev. Eustace P. Zeigler, who had trained as an architect in Detroit before relocating to Cordova in 1909. The church was consecrated on Easter Sunday, 20 April 1919, and dedicated to the memory of Erastus Hawkins, Chief Engineer of the Cooper River & Northwestern Railway. The construction of the Saint George's was funded in part by a large contribution from the Kennecott Copper Corporation. The church was built of wood frame construction on a concrete foundation, and sided with wood shingles on the exterior. The interior was sheathed with plywood panels and wood battens, stained dark brown.
Never a large congregation, Cordova was designed a mission outpost by the Episcopal Church, with Saint George's often sharing a priest with Epiphany Church in Valdez. During several periods over the course of the twentieth century, the parish lacked a resident priest, with lay members leading services between the occasional visits of priests from other parishes. Nonetheless, Saint George's has continued to play a vital role in Cordova, providing social services and serving as an important community gathering place. In 1982, Saint George's was placed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Red Dragon Historic District.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N2183
Survey number: HABS AK-156
Building/structure dates: 1919 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 82004899