St. John the Baptist Church, 1117-1139 Dryades Street, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, LA
Significance: The corner stone was laid in 1857, and the church was completed in 1861, Father Jeremiah Moynihan, the pastor, having supervision of the planning and building. Fifteen stained glass windows were installed in 1902. ... The building was erected in a time of opulence and no expense was spared to make it one of the handsomest churches in the city, but by the time it was completed, at the outbreak of four years of war, there ensued much general financial distress. The parish was unable to meet its obligations, and was declared bankrupt in 1878. The church and the adjacent parish school building were bought by the pastor, Father Kenny, and reverted to the Congregation.
Survey number: HABS LA-1105
Building/structure dates: 1861 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1902 Subsequent Work