Stafford's Tavern, Spruce & Mattis Streets, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA
Significance: This 2 1/2 story half gambrel house, with plaster cove cornice, is of a type nearly vanished. It was built in 1759 and owned, among others, by Blaithwaite Jones, Mariner (1767), John Wood Jr., well-known clockmaker (1769) and Nicholas Stafford, tavern-keeper (1829, in his estate until 1923). Thomas Wilkins kept a tavern here as early as 1790. In 1965 the tavern was combined with the Paschall House and restored as a museum called "a man full of trouble."
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-65, FN-277
Survey number: HABS PA-128-A