Tacony, Neighborhood is bounded by Delaware River, Cottman Avenue, Magee Street, & Frankford Avenue, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA
Significance: The area within the City of Philadelphia known as "Tacony" is historically significant for its mid-nineteenth-century foundation as the southern terminus of the Philadelphia and Trenton Railroad, but more so in its physical reconception and enlargement as a model industrial village integrally linked to the Keystone Saw Works. The saw works was founded by Henry Disston in 1840 and he began relocating the business to Tacony in 1872. In the twentieth century, the physically independent industrial town was overtaken by municipal expansion, however Tacony maintains an urban rhythm and density-and consequently an identity-distinct from the rest of the city.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N829
Survey number: HABS PA-6692
Building/structure dates: 1846 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1855 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1872 Subsequent Work