Tavern-Store-Kitchen, Route 29 & Route 631, Madison, Madison County, VA
- Upscale 2x7680x6316
Significance: The James City Historic District is historically and architecturally significant as an example of a community that remains a time-capsule of late 18th to early 20th century domestic, commercial, and agricultural structures. Built along what was the main road from Fredericksburg to Madison County, the complex served as a stop for stagecoach travelers and a place for business. During the second half of the nineteenth century new roads were built. As a result, the Fredericksburg Road went into decline and eventually became part of the farmland. The buildings, however, remained intact.
This structure is ca. 1796 house and kitchen wing later incorporated into a tavern and early nineteenth-century store. The store also served as a post office.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1074
Survey number: HABS VA-1416
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 01000691