Temple Freda, 205 Parker Street, Bryan, Brazos County, TX
- Upscale 2x2048x1366
Significance: The Jewish Community of Bryan, Texas had its origins in the 1860's and met in the homes of members for worship services. In 1912 J.W. English donated parts of lots 6 and 7 in block 117 of Bryan to the congregation for the purpose of establishing a synagogue. Much of the material used in the construction of the building was given by local citizens. The simple rectangular building in the Greek Revival style was completed within a year. It was named at its dedication for Mrs. Ethel Freda Kaczer, the recently deceased wife of the congregation's president. Although currently not in regular use as a synagogue, it continues to house worship services. The front of the building faces Parker Street and has finely detailed tan brick walls with a Classical entablature in pressed metal. The portico, also in pressed metal, has two wooden Corinthian columns. The side and rear walls are in red brick. The interior continues to be simple in design. An entrance lobby, flanked by two bathrooms, leads to the sanctuary where the floor is sloped towards the ark. A small meeting room is located at the back. The synagogue retains is original ark and bimah furnishings, pews, menorahs, light fixtures, and fans. The ceiling is of pressed metal. The original cast iron stoves, although not is use, are stored in the building. The otherwise plain interior is enriched by stained glass windows on the front and side walls. Many of these were donated in memory of members of the congregation.
Survey number: HABS TX-288
Building/structure dates: ca. 1917 Initial Construction