The Oaks, Old Montgomery Road, Tuskegee Institute Campus, Tuskegee, Macon County, AL
Significance: Constructed in 1899, The Oaks served as the home of Booker T. Washington, president and founder of Tuskegee Institute. The construction of the house served as a solid example of the educational philosophy of Dr. Washington, having had most of its materials locally manufactured and installed by students of the Institute as part of their vocational training. The home also served as the reception center of the Institute for the numerous and influential visitors and patrons of the school. Following the death of Doctor Washington in 1915, the house remained in the family until the death of Mrs. Washington in 1925, after which it became the property of the Institute. During the 1950's the house was converted for use as administrative offices by the Institute. In 1974 the National Park Service acquired the building as a part of the Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site. At present, plans call for the preservation of the house as it appeared during the lifetime of Dr. Washington.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-78
Survey number: HABS AL-877
Building/structure dates: 1899 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1950 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000151