Thomas Farm, House, 4632 Araby Church Road, Frederick, Frederick County, MD
- Upscale 2x7680x6356
Significance: The property dates to a 1,400-acre land grant called Wett Work, which was patented in 1729, although apparently not occupied or improved until the 1740s. The 1748 completion of the Georgetown Road (later Pike, the present Araby Church Road) connecting Frederick with Georgetown, along with the establishment of a ferry at the road's Monocacy River crossing, enhanced the property's importance. By 1754 a tavern had been built at the ferry crossing. Wett Work was purchased in 1758 by the Scottish-born merchant and factor James Marshall, a resident of Prince George's County. By 1770 Marshall had relocated to his Frederick County property. The house on the Thomas Farm was almost certainly built by Marshall, at an unknown date during the last quarter of the 18th century. Two stories tall with a partial cellar and an attic, the building's walls were constructed of brick masonry, resting on fieldstone foundations...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1192
Survey number: HABS MD-1251-A
Building/structure dates: ca. 1780 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000908