Travis Air Force Base, B-36 Hangar, Between Woodskill Avenue & Ellis, adjacent to Taxiway V & W, Fairfield, Solano County, CA
Significance: Building 810 is significant as an excellent example of a double-cantilever, medium bomber hangar used for maintenance of the B-36. It was one of the first such double-bay bomber hangars erected nationwide by the Strategic Air Command (SAC). The B-36 was SAC's first long-range, intercontinental bomber carrying nuclear weapons, the only aircraft during the early years of the Cold War capable of reaching - and returning from - the Soviet Union. This maintenance hangar, in response to the size of the bomber, was monumental. Similar structures were built at SAC installations between 1952 and 1957. The double-cantilever, B-36 hangar was one of the first symbolic military structures of the Cold War; its physical size foreshadowed the moleholes and alert apron of the B-52 and KC-135 tanker.
Survey number: HABS CA-2669-B
Building/structure dates: 1955 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1961 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1965 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1966 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1970 Subsequent Work