United Engineering Company Shipyard, Inspection & Repair Shops, 2900 Main Street, Alameda, Alameda County, CA
- Upscale 2x7680x6212
Significance: The Inspection and Repair Shops building is a contributing structure in the United Engineering Company Shipyard historic district that has been determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. The United Engineering Company Shipyard, established in 1941 to build and repair ships for the U.S. Navy, is the last surviving of several large World War II shipyards in Alameda. United Engineering built 21 tugboats and repaired hundreds of ships during the war. The facility was one of the largest employers in Alameda and played an important economic and social role in the city. In addition to its role as a principal building in the shipyard, this building was also the principal structure in a previous operation at this site - the West Alameda Yard of the Southern Pacific Company. The West Alameda Yard was developed in 1911 for the maintenance and repair of electric cars on the East Bay transit lines of Southern Pacific.
Survey number: HAER CA-295-A
Building/structure dates: 1910-1911 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1940 Subsequent Work