University of Virginia, Pavilion III, West Lawn, University of Virginia Campus, Charlottesville, Charlottesville, VA
1986 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: Based on plans drawn by Thomas Jefferson in 1817 and inspired by the Temple of Antoninus and Faustina, Rome, as illustrated in Book Four of Palldio, Pavilion III, known as the Corinthian Pavilion, was the second of ten original buildings of the University of Virginia. Construction was supervised by the Irish carpenter-builder, James Dinsmore. Decorative elements include Carrara marble Corinthian capitals, and interior ornamentation by sculptor, William Coffee. Unlike most other University of Virginia pavilions, III has not suffered major exterior structural additions or alterations, and is essentially as built by Jefferson.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-329
Survey number: HABS VA-193-C
Building/structure dates: 1825 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 70000865