University of Wyoming Campus, Library, East of Ninth Street & North of Ivinson Avenue, Laramie, Albany County, WY
Significance: The University of Wyoming Library, erected in 1923, is historically important for its former role as the main repository for the institution's book collection, as its primary student research facility, and as the home of the Law School and several academic departments during the formative years of the University. It contributed directly to the advancement of academic quality of the University for 35 years. The building is also an important example of American university architecture, which reflects established ideals of formalism, historicism, and functionalism. It is a noteworthy example of monumental public architecture expressive of the Neo-Classical and Renaissance Revival styles, and represents the work of a prominent local architect (Wilbur A. Hitchcock) who produced numerous designs for buildings in Laramie, both on and off the campus.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N291
Survey number: HABS WY-116-A