U.S. Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, Hangar No. 4, First Street between A & B Streets, Kailua, Honolulu County, HI
Significance: Hangar No. 4 is the fourth in an east-west line of five virtually identical aircraft storage and maintenance buildings at MCBH. Design of these aircraft hangars was originally to support seaplane squadrons and the initial construction was completed in 1941 in anticipation of the future WWII conflict. This building was designed by Albert Kahn & Associates who were responsible for creation of standardized component type military structures used at the bases in the Pacific during WWII. Records indicate subsequent to the start of WWII hostilities, numerous design modifications were implemented. Also alterations and repairs over the past decades have impacted certain design elements and the integrity of the building facade. The seaplane facilities at Kaneohe were developed at the same time, and under the same contract as for new or improved seaplane patrol-plane facilities at US island possessions west of Hawaii; Midway, Wake, Johnson, Palmyra, Canton, and French Frigate Shoals. These facilities were the first move westward taken by the US to develop a defensive perimeter for Hawaii and the US mainland. Except for Wake Island which was captured by the Japanese in December 1941 these facilities greatly assisted the US in its Pacific campaign. As with all military installations in Hawaii, Hangar No. 4 was involved in the general events of WWII and was part of the initial base construction of Kaneohe Naval Air Station. Hangar No. 4 is considered potentially eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under criteria A. Hangar No. 4 is part of a group of hangars, aircraft parking apron, and seaplane ramps that formed a seaplane complex that was bombed and strafed by Japanese dive-bomber and fighter aircraft on 7 December 1941. The attacks by the Japanese on that day brought the US into WWII and the war in the Pacific.
Survey number: HABS HI-311-A