U.S. Naval Air Station, Barrancas National Cemetery, Superintendent's Lodge, Intersection of Hovey & Duncan Roads, Pensacola, Escambia County, FL
Significance: The Quartermaster's department used the Four-Square plan in lodges made of wood frame, here in Barrancas and also in Florence, in 1906 and then for brick lodges located in six other cemeteries between 1907 and 1910: Gettysburg, Knoxville, Camp Butler, Little Rock, Andrew Johnson, Tennessee, and San Antonio. The Four-Square plan provided space for the hall, office, parlor, dining room, pantry and kitchen on the first floor, and space for the hall, four bedrooms and bathroom on the second floor. As seen in Florence, the Barrancas lodge had the eight primary living spaces, with four bedrooms on the second floor and the office, living room, dining room, and kitchen on the first floor, as well as the circulation spaces and secondary spaces that made the lodge more comfortable, such as the hallways, pantries, and bathroom. Because of the nearly identical expression of the Four-Square seen in these lodges, the buildings derive their significance as a collective example of an early twentieth-century house form adapted by the Quartermaster for use in the national cemeteries. They also mark a point of departure from the L-plan.
Survey number: HABS FL-388
Building/structure dates: 1906 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1996 Demolished
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 76000595