U.S. Naval Air Station, Power Plant, 328 South Avenue, Pensacola, Escambia County, FL
Significance: Constructed from 1905 to 1907, the Power Plant is among the most significant architectural landmarks within Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola. With its grand scale and finely crafted detailing and ornamentation, the building is an outstanding local example of Beaux Arts classicism, an architectural movement that enjoyed widespread popularity throughout the nation during the early twentieth century. In addition, the brick chimney that rises from within the building's core is an independent, free-standing structure that is a distinctive and character-defining feature and remains an important physical landmark in the Pensacola area. The Power Plant is associated with an ambitious building program in which the Navy constructed centralized power plants at most of its on-shore installations during the first decade of the twentieth century. The Power Plant reflects the Navy's increased use of and demands for electricity during modernization efforts at the time. For a few years, the Power Plant supplied electricity to the communities immediately adjoining NAS Pensacola. The Power Plant also provided steam heating for many of the buildings at the station. Although the Power Plant was not directly involved with the primary mission of the installation during its years of operation as navy yard and later as a naval aviation training facility, the building fulfilled a vital support role within the base and improved both the quality of life and efficiency of everyday operations.
Survey number: HABS FL-249
Building/structure dates: 1905 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 76000595