U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Berthing Wharf S378, Beckoning Point, Southeast of Cowpens Street, Ford Island, Pearl City, Honolulu County, HI
Significance: Wharf F-5 is rated as a Category 3 historical structure. A Category 3 building or structure is defined as only of minor importance to the historic character of Pearl Harbor. Wharf F-5 is located within the Pearl Harbor National Historic Landmark, which has historical significance due to the calamitous events of December 7, 1941, and its vital role in supporting the nation's subsequent war in the Pacific theater of World War II. Originally consisting of two concrete fleet mooring platforms, F5N (North) and F5S (South), the USS MARYLAND (inboard) and the USS OKLAHOMA were berthed at F-5 on the morning of December 7, 1941. The USS OKLAHOMA was hit five to seven times by torpedo bombers and capsized at her berth. The inboard-berthed USS MARYLAND was struck by two 15-inch armor-piercing bombs which caused considerable flooding. Since a drydock was not available, the Navy Yard, assisted by the forces afloat, made repairs to the MARYLAND elsewhere without docking. The righting operations (lifting and floating of ship from submerged position) of the USS OKLAHOMA took place at F-5 and started on March 8, 1943. After a long and arduous procedure, the USS OKLAHOMA came afloat on November 3, 1943. The ship was subsequently placed in drydock on December 28, 1943. In 1944, the 498 foot long by 50 foot wide concrete wharf was constructed, structurally integrating fleet mooring platforms F5N and F5S into the wharf foundation. The U.S. Naval Base at Pearl Harbor was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1964.
Survey number: HAER HI-9
Building/structure dates: 1944 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000940