U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Boiler House & Cold Storage, Butchers Shop & Dry Stores Building, South Avenue near Salvor Street, Pearl City, Honolulu County, HI
- Upscale 2x7680x6240
Significance: The boiler house portion of the building, constructed in 1929, is part of the early history of the Marine Barracks at Pearl Harbor. The cold storage, butcher shop, and dry stores portion of the building dates from about 1952, built on the footprint of an earlier laundry building. The Marine Barracks area is associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of Hawaii's history, from the establishment of the first permanent Marine garrison in Hawaii through the Marine's contributions in WWII. Additionally, the boiler house portion of the building embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, and method of construction, which are seen in other buildings of the pre-WWII period at Marine Barracks. The building contributes to the Marine Barracks zone, which forms a distinct and historically significant grouping at the Pearl Harbor Naval Base. It is in the main portion of Pearl Harbor Naval Base that was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1964.
Survey number: HABS HI-404
Building/structure dates: 1929-1952 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000940