VA Medical Center, Aspinwall Division, Infirmary Building, 5103 Delafield Avenue (O'Hara Township), Aspinwall, Allegheny County, PA
- Upscale 2x7680x6166
Significance: The Infirmary Building is one of the original structures erected by the United States Veterans' Bureau at Aspinwall in 1924. It is significant for its associations with the Veterans' Bureau's national effort, during the 1920s, to expand its medical facilities and is representative of the earliest period of construction at the Aspinwall site. The oldest portions of the building correspond closely to the standardized plans for infirmaries included within the Veterans' Bureau's "architectural set," with modifications intended to accommodate the building's use as a tuberculosis facility. Used at verterans' facilities throughout the nation, the "set" dictates the general layout of the hospital site, the orientation of the buildings on the site, and the basic floor plan of the principal buildings. Later additions in 1932 and 1936 reflect the facility's evolution into a general car and surgical hospital.
Survey number: HABS PA-5438-A
Building/structure dates: 1924 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1932 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1936 Subsequent Work