Valley Forge National Historical Park, Bounded by Schuykill River, Routes 422, 76, & 252, King of Prussia, Montgomery County, PA
Significance: Valley Forge National Historic Park is a landmark in American history as the site of the Revolutionary War era winter encampment of General George Washington and the Continental Army. From December of 1777- mid-June of 1778, the army trained while waiting out the harsh winter. The soilders -undernourished, ill-clad and ill-housed -were subjected to diseases that many did not survive. The Continental Army endured, however, making Valley Forge a symbol of the tenacity of the American spirit in the fight for independence.
The site of the encampment laid out by French engineer and Brigadier General Louis L. Duportail included remnants of features such as redoubts, forts, hutments, and the farmsteads used as quarters for the commanding officers. Among the most significant encampment era sites is the Isaac Potts House, used by General George Washington as his headquarters. As a park, the current site of the encampment includes an interpretive overlay of roadways and paths, monuments, waysides and other tourist attractions. While the park was created to interpret a specific point in time, the following is designed to examine the evolution of this important commemorative landscape over the course of its over 200 year history.
Survey number: HABS PA-6186
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000657