Vicente Martinez Adobe, Pleasant Hill & Franklin Canyon Roads, Martinez, Contra Costa County, CA
- Upscale 2x2048x1604
Significance: The area was originally a part of Rancho Pinole granted in 1824 to Don Ygnacio Martinez. On his death in 1843, this portion of the ranch was inherited by his son, Vicente Martinez who, the following year, built the adobe house, one of the oldest remaining houses in the Martinez vicinity. In 1853 the house was sold to Edward Franklin, and then from 1874 until 1918 it was owned by Dr. John T. Strentzel and his descendants. It was the home of John Muir's daughter, Wanda Muir Hannah beginning in 1906. Mr. Louis L. Stein, Jr bought the property in 1955. The National Park Service is acquiring the property in 1965 for the John Muir National Historic Site.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N263
Survey number: HABS CA-1913
Building/structure dates: ca. 1848 Initial Construction