Vigilant Engine House, 648-650 Main Street, Wheeling, Ohio County, WV
Significance: This fire house is the second built on this site. It was home to Vigilant Steam Fire Engine Company Number 3, one of the four original city fire companies. The present structure was built to replace the original building, which burned in 1891. Its handsome Main Street facade of brick and terra cotta inlay is capped by a classified pediment on the bell tower where the "1891" construction date is inscribed.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-68
Survey number: HABS WV-196
Building/structure dates: 1891 Initial Construction