Washington Street Bridge, Spanning Swan Creek (former Miami & Erie Canal), Toledo, Lucas County, OH
Significance: The Washington Street Bridge was built in 1920 by the Toledo Bridge and Crane Company of Toledo, Ohio using the patented scherzer movement from the Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Company of Chicago. The bridge was built for the City of Toledo to provide access to the railroad dock yards on the Middlegrounds. The lift operation allowed barge and small boat traffic to travel up the Swan Creek and gave canal boats access to the Miami and Erie Canal. The last year of lift operation was circa 1945.
Survey number: HAER OH-104