Watertown Arsenal, Building No. 43, Arsenal Street, Watertown, Middlesex County, MA
Significance: Building No. 43 is one of the earliest buildings on the present AMTL property and was integral to the industrial development of the Watertown Arsenal after 1862. It was originally erected as a Smith Shop, for use in gun carriage production, a primary manufacturing activity at Watertown Arsenal. Along with three adjacent buildings to the southwest and south (312, HAER No. MA-20-F; 313, HAER MA-20-G; and 373, HAER No. MA-20-D), it formed part of a tightly functioning gun carriage manufacturing complex by the end of the nineteenth century. Building No. 43, the only industrial building on the site still in its original use, continues to produce small metal forgings for the Army.
Survey number: HAER MA-20-C
Building/structure dates: 1968