Wellton-Mohawk Irrigation System, Building No. 16 A-B (Duplex), 30652 & 30654 Wellton-Mohawk Drive, Wellton, Yuma County, AZ
Significance: Building 16 A-B, as part of the former Wellton Government Camp, is associated with the Wellton-Mohawk Division of the Gila Project. Construction of the Wellton-Mohawk irrigation system began in 1949 and was essentially completed in 1957. With its completion, Colorado River water was delivered to previously arid lands in the lower Gila River Valley. Concomitant to construction of the irrigation system, the U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation built Wellton Government Camp to provide office space and housing for employees engaged in fieldwork associated with the irrigation project. Today, the headquarters of the WMIDD stand on the site of the camp offices, and the houses serve as residences for WMIDD employees. The WMIDD administrative complex is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places as a district under Criteria A & C. The residential buildings have retained their integrity and contribute to the significance of the headquarters complex.
Survey number: HAER AZ-68-U