William Blount Mansion, State Street & Hill Avenue, Knoxville, Knox County, TN
Significance: From the Nat'l Register nomination: The Blount Mansion was constructed as the residence of William Blount, who served as Governor of the Territory South of the Ohio River (commonly known as the "Southwest Territory") and played a major role in the formation of the State of Tennessee. The two-story main block and one-story western wing of the frame and clapboard house were built c. 1792; the one-story eastern wing was added shortly after. The detached office at the rear (southeast) of the house was, in effect, the capital of Blount*s territorial government.The mansion remained in the Blount family until 1820, and thereafter had several owners. When it became known, in 1926, that the house might be demolished, the Blount Mansion Association was formed to acquire and preserve it. Since that time, the house, its dependencies, and grounds have been fully restored (reconstructed in the case of the kitchen) and furnished with items appropriate to the period of Blount's residence. The complex is open to the public on a regular basis.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-4
Survey number: HABS TN-101
Building/structure dates: 1792 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1800 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after 1920 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000726