William Moore House, State Route 23 & Reading Railroad Tracks vicinity (Schuykill Township), Phoenixville, Chester County, PA
- Upscale 2x7680x5604
Significance: The Moore House is a fine example of a mid-eighteenth century stone house which retains much of its original woodwork. It was the home of the most prominent of the Chester County Loyalists and a member of the Provincial Assembly, Judge William Moore. The house also served as headquarters for Colonel Clement Biddle of the Continental Army during encampment at Valley Forge in 1778, and as the summer home for Governor Samuel Pennypacker. It was restored in the 1930s by architect G. Edwin Brumbaugh.
Survey number: HABS PA-1135
Building/structure dates: ca. 1750 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: after. 1930- before. 1940 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: before 1900 Subsequent Work