Williams-Tucker House, 3601 Avenue P, Galveston, Galveston County, TX
- Upscale 2x2048x1618
Significance: This building is one of the few structures of the first years of Galveston that stands today. It is important because of its age, but more so because of its owner, Samuel May Williams. He was an important figure in the colonial period of Texas, serving as Stephen F. Austin's secretary in colonial affairs. Most important, however, Williams and his partner, Thomas F. McKinney, with great personal sacrifice, secured money of their personal loan for the government of the Republic of Texas and thereby insured the success of that government which at the time was without funds and unable to secure loans. Williams was also Texas' first banker, opening the Commercial and Agricultural Bank in 1847, and a leading pioneer businessman.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-164
Survey number: HABS TX-297