Winder Building, Seventeenth & F Streets, Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
Significance: One of few pre-Civil War office buildings in Washington and certainly the least altered, the Winder Building was built for William H. Winder who leased most of the space to the U.S. government, and sold the building to them in 1854. With an unusual construction of cast-iron beams and brick bearing walls, along with brick flooring, this building was as strong and as fireproof as any of its time.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-76
Survey number: HABS DC-392