Woodrow Wilson House, 2340 South S Street, Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
For additional documentation, see also HALS DC-133 (Woodrow Wilson House, Garden Parterre)
Significance: The Woodraw Wilson House was the Home of Thomas Woodrow Wilson 28th president of the United States from the end of his second term of office on March 4, 1921 until his death on February 3, 1924.
Designed by Washington Architect Waddy Butler Wood in 1915 and built in 1915-16 for Businessman Henry Parker Fairbanks. This townhouse is a distinguished example of the adamesque mode of the Georgian revival style especially popular at that time in the Kalorama Neighborhood of Washington. it appealed to Mrs. Wilson, who was seeking a house to which the President could retire after his second term, as "an unpretentious, comfortable, dignified house fitted to the needs of a gentleman.'" She told her husband about her find but was completely surprised when on their fifth wedding anniversary on December 18, 1920, he took her to the house and following a Scottish custom presented her with a piece of sod from the garden and a key to the front door...
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-27 - FN-37, FN-75
Survey number: HABS DC-133
Building/structure dates: 1915-1916 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1921 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000873