Zoller Block, 119-121 South Federal Avenue, Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, IA
- Upscale 2x6180x7680
Significance: The building has a front facade of decorative tin cladding and cast iron. The tin front was ordered from catalogs and is an example of early use of prefabrication and standardization. The building was named the Zoller Block after the developer and owner, Katherine Zoller. It originally housed Haworth and Perry, an early department store, on the ground floor. In 1906, J.M. Heffner converted the north half of the ground floor into the Bijou Theater which was the first movie house in Mason City. The first seats in the theater were kitchen chairs and the maximum seating was 200.
Survey number: HABS IA-129