City Light & Power, 1950 North Clinton Street, Fort Wayne, Allen County, IN
1993 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: For approximately 50 years, from 1929-1978, the City Light and Power Works building, designed by Froehlich & Emery Engineering Company, served as the chief power producer for the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana. During this time period the building underwent several alterations and additions, most notably the 1932 and 1936 bay additions. The City Light and Power building obtains style characteristics similar to typical nineteenth century buildings, by way of the limestone relief detailing and masonry detailing in both limestone and brick. The building's key features are the large industrial windows which enhance the original utilitarian purpose of the plant. Plans are already being made to transform the building into Science Central, a science museum for children. By documenting this building, it is hoped that the memory of the old City Light and Power Works can be preserved.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N115
Survey number: HABS IN-251