D. S. Tavern, U.S. Route 250 West, Charlottesville, Charlottesville, VA
- Upscale 2x2048x1364
Significance: The building is located where the D.S. Tree and zero milepost stood along the Three-Notched Road which was a major thoroughfare from Richmond to the Valley. The building is believed to have been built originally as a claims house which then evolved to an 'ordinary' and finally a farmhouse. It was a landmark due to its location at the crossroads of the Three-Notched Road and the Dick Woods Road which were very early and well-used roads in that area. 'Ordinaries' were often owned by 'men of Consequence' and there is a deed which shows that the D.S. Tavern was at one time owned by Chief Justice John Marshall.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-271
Survey number: HABS VA-1019
Building/structure dates: ca. 1741 Initial Construction