Petersburg Gas Light Company, Gasholder, Bank & Madison Streets vicinity, Petersburg, Petersburg, VA
Significance: A rare survivor of a once popular means of storing gas. The Petersburg Gasholder is distinguished by its cast iron frame which incorporates many Tuscan order columns. / This Gas Holder, one of about a dozen to survive to this date, is an excellent example of the type of cylindrical iron tank used for the storage of manufactured gas. Originally constructed as a two lift holder, the Holder's outer lift was removed in 1911 and the bell was rebuilt. The 42 foot double columns support the tank guide rails and counter weights (removed). The sets of cast iron columns are handsomely proportioned and detailed. This structure, currently unused, is threatened with removal in the near future as the owners are conducting plant modernization.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-6
Survey number: HAER VA-14
Building/structure dates: 1897 Initial Construction