U.S. Customhouse & Post Office, 1221 Thirty-first Street Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
Significance: The structure was designed in 1856-57 by Ammi B. Young, Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury. It was erected in 1857-58, R.R. Scheckeles being the master builder. The cost of the two-story classical revival building with full basement was $55,368.00. The building was also used as the Georgetown city hall and mayor's office until 1871 when Georgetown was incorporated with Washington, D.C. In 1967 the custom house moved from its second floor space, leaving the building as the Georgetown station of the Washington D.C. post office. The building is one of the most impressive and monumental public structures in Georgetown and remains relatively unchanged on the exterior although there have been many interior changes and modernizations.
Survey number: HABS DC-138
Building/structure dates: 1858 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1906 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1924 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1926 Subsequent Work