Western Reserve Academy, Loomis Observatory, Western Reserve University, Hudson, Summit County, OH
Significance: The Loomis Observatory was the first to be built west of the Allegheny Mountains being first used September 8, 1838. It is now the second oldest on the American continent. It was designed by and built under the supervision of Elias Loomis by architect-builder Simeon Porter. The building was renovated in 1908 under the direction of Mr. Ellsworth. In 1934 the roof and dome were recovered with copper replacing the original tin. A new floor was presumably laid at the time of the 1908 renovation.
Survey number: HABS OH-22-5
Building/structure dates: 1837 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 75001539