William & Mary College, Brafferton Hall, College Yard, Williamsburg, Independent City, VA
- Upscale 2x2048x1364
Significance: This brick structure was built in 1723 to house a school intended to convert to Christianity and instruct Indian boys. The funds for its erection and operation came from a bequest by Robert Boyle, English inventor of the air pump. Henry Carey, Jr. was probably the designer for the structure. It has been in constant use since its construction, functioning as a school, dormitory, and offices for the College of William and Mary. It was restored in 1932 by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and is the property of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Survey number: HABS VA-346
Building/structure dates: ca. 1724 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1932 Subsequent Work