Alma Sugarcane Plantation, Lakeland, Pointe Coupee Parish, LA
- Upscale 2x2048x1364
1993 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: The plantation was established by Julien Poydras, one of Louisiana's most noted philanthropists, poets, and planters. The frugal and diligent Poydras accumulated enough money to purchase his first piece of land, later named Alma plantation. Poydras owned six plantations and a thousand slaves. Poydras built a fine home in a lovely setting along what is now called Poydras Bayou. Following the death of Poydras, the plantation was owned by the Barrow family. During this time the plantation name was changed from Poydras to Alma Plantation. In 1859, Pitcher became the sole owner of Alma, the administrative responsibility. In 1959, Hampton P. Stewart, Sr. became the owners of Alma Plantation. Mrs. Hampton P. Stewart, Sr., successfully operated the plantation for a number of years. The business is now in its fourth generation under the capable management of her two sons, H.P. Stewart, Jr., & David B. Stewart. The mill is constantly being upgraded and is equipped throughout with modern machinery. It now has a grinding capacity of approximately 6,000 tons each 24 hours.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N113
Survey number: HABS LA-1239