Borough House, School, State Route 261 & Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, Sumter County, SC
Significance: The School building is a Greek Revival dependency of the Borough House plantation complex. Built of rammed earth c. 1821, it is one of six dependencies (in addition to portions of the main house) to be built of this material, and it is the only one at the site with a peripteral colonnade. This complex is of potential national significance because of the number of early Greek Revival structures it contains which were built of this unusual material. The Borough House complex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Stateburg Historic District in 1971 and as an individual site in 1972.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N221
Survey number: HABS SC-367
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 72001224