Delaware & Hudson Canal, Survey of Locks 70-72, Downstream from Delaware Aqueduct between Delaware River & Route 97, Minisink Ford, Sullivan County, NY
Significance: The Delaware & Hudson Canal opened for business in 1828. Locks 70, 71 and 72 were added to the system in 1849 when the Delaware Aqueduct, replacing the canal river crossing at the nearby Delaware and Lackawaxen River confluence, began operation. Canal boats crossing above the Delaware River in the aqueduct descended a total of 32 feet in the three locks to rejoin the 1828 canal. The canal closed in 1898. Construction of State Route 97 in the early 1930s destroyed Locks 70 and 72. Approximately 30 feet of the northeastern wall of Lock 71 collapsed in 1983.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N137
Survey number: HAER NY-262
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 68000051