Duluth & Iron Range Rail Road Company Shops, Southwest of downtown Two Harbors, northwest of Agate Bay, Two Harbors, Lake County, MN
Significance: The Duluth and Iron Range Rail Road Company (D&IR) Shops near Two Harbors, Minnesota, are representative of the resources required to operate a railroad dedicated to the transportation of iron ore. The shops serviced the rolling stock of the D&IR and, later, the larger entity of the Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railway Company. The D&IR was Minnesota's first Iron Range railroad, helping to establish the state as a major iron-producer in the late nineteenth century. Ore pulled from the Vermillion and Mesabi Iron Ranges and transported by the D&IR contributed significantly to the growth of the country.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N801
Survey number: HAER MN-99
Building/structure dates: 1887-1941 Initial Construction